After the recent attack on the Institute, the Shadowhunters are left devastated and wounded. Trying to regroup, each of the Shadowhunters deals with the situation their own way. Meanwhile, Simon moves home but finds it is not so easy to pull off his new life with his family around.
- Zac Hug — writer
- Salli Richardson-Whitfield — director
- Siluck Saysanasy — first assistant director TBA
- See more here
A list of the known songs and score music featured in this episode:
- "Metanoia" - Faux Tales
- "Straight Shooter" - Skylar Grey
- "Don't Forget About Me" - Cloves
- The title is derived from "we are but dust and shadows", which is translated from the line "Pulvis et umbra sumus" by Horace.
- The characters Iris, the nurse Leigh, and Madzie were named after the episode writer's nieces and/or goddaughters, and the name of one of the warlocks shown in the Institute database records, Floretta Camp, is a mixture of his grandmothers' names.
- The shape-shifting rune that has been on Isabelle's forearm since A Door Into the Dark and is seen in episodes after this was missing from her arm in this episode.
The following are elements adapted from The Shadowhunter Chronicles:
- Simon being Jewish is once again tackled.
- Magnus's mother committed suicide shortly after realizing that Magnus was her child with a demon.
- That Shadowhunters cannot be impregnated by demons is mentioned.
- Yin fen and the dangerous addictive property that comes with its use is shown.
- The type of being Iris wants to make—part-demon and part-Shadowhunter—is similar to the one that a character in The Infernal Devices wanted to make.
- Clary began receiving visions of new/unknown runes, particularly at a time when she needed it.
- As in the series books, in Shadowhunter funerals, the words "ave atque vale" and/or its English translation "hail and farewell" are spoken. According to The Shadowhunter's Codex, "Pulvis et umbra sumus, we are dust and shadows," is also spoken.
- ↑ "Both Iris and Nurse Leigh are named after two amazing God-daughters of mine." Zac Hug on Twitter
- ↑ Writer Zac Hug Delves Into The Emotional Episode 'Dust And Shadows' - Shadowhunters | Freeform
- ↑ "... Floretta Camp - a mixture of both my Grandmother's names." Zac Hug on Twitter
- ↑ "This Thursday!" Todd Slavkin on Twitter
- ↑ "1st day of directing @shadowhunterstv" Salli Richardson on Instagram
- ↑ "THAT'S A CONTORTIONIST PERSON!" Zac Hug on Twitter
- ↑ "You guys, @MatthewDaddario improv'd some of that rooftop scene and is genuinely brilliant." Zac Hug on Twitter
- ↑ "Here's a BTS shot of a baby with goat feet." Zac Hug on Twitter